In bullet form, because you don’t have all day…
- I always wanted to be a ballerina, but health issues took that off the table in high school, so I got in to modeling, which filled part of that void.
- My dad committed suicide when I was a HS senior, and it completely turned my world upside-down.
- Keeping myself busy in college, especially with modeling, was my way of coping with the loss. Eventually, I started helping to plan and coordinate the fashion shows and photo shoots I was involved in.
- I was planning to go to med school, but that never felt like the “right” option for me, it was just the only thing I thought was interesting enough to pursue.
- I met my former business partner through a fashion show who asked me (down the road) to co-own a fashion PR company with her (which sounded like a great idea because I was hating being in the class room and having to think about even more years of school made me cringe)
- After 2.5 years, my partner and I developed different visions and goals and I left to start my own PR firm (and also started to focus more on my blog as an outlet for myself)
- I tried that for about 2 years. I loved the work I was doing, but working 1 on 1 with clients and undercharging for my services was getting the best of me. I fell apart fast and my own mental health crippled.
- After opening up to some other business owners about how much I was struggling and the burnout I was going through, I realized I wasn’t alone.
- Throughout this, I had been raising awareness for mental health and suicide prevention any time I could, but it wasn’t until I started having those conversations I saw my purpose was to combine mental health and entrepreneurship.
- Knowing anything 1 on 1 wasn’t the right route for me, I started to brainstorm how I could inspire more people and stay sane while doing it, which is where this community came in!
It’s been a struggle to figure out how to profit from the concept, but I know I’ll figure it out! Gem Nation and now building The Gem platform/website to share your stories is exactly what I’m meant to be doing. My heart is in helping business owners stay mentally, emotionally, and physically strong through the difficult journey of owning a business. Nothing I’ve done before has felt quite as right as this does! =)
In case you’re looking for a typical bio:
Allyn Lewis is an ambitious entrepreneur, publicist, blogger, and yoga instructor dedicated to inspiring others and strategically helping dreams come true. What stemmed from a love of dance and modeling, grew into a passion for building and growing brands in the entertainment and fashion industries. While she did graduate with a degree in Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh, Allyn credits her experiences and the ability to teach herself how to do anything for developing her career skills. She idolizes Olivia Pope and is also an ice cream enthusiast.
7/2/2014: nyc PR girls – “PR Twitter Tips: June 2014” 6/12/2014: First Site Guide – “Step by Step Guide on How to Start Your Own Fashion Blog” 6/8/2014: PR & Pearls – “Making the Impossible POSSIBLE” 5/7/2014: The PR Closet – “Spotlight on!” 3/20/2014:Gutsy Glossie – “Gutsy Girl: Allyn Lewis of Pretty Living PR” 3/4/2014: PR Diva – “She Did It: Starting Your Own PR Firm” [Pretty Living PR] 2/6/2014: Girl Talk HQ – “My Dad’s Suicide Rocked My World, And It Forced Me To Do This…” [La Nuit Noire] 1/17/2014: Pink & Black Magazine – “My story: I am a suicide survivor” [La Nuit Noire] 1/13/2014: Hello Perfect – “La Nuit Noire: Saving Lives in a Glam Way” [La Nuit Noire] 1/8/2014: TribLIVE – “Carnegie fundraiser to raise awareness about suicide prevention” [La Nuit Noire] 1/6/2014: Pretty Living PR – “Monday Muse: Allyn Lewis” [La Nuit Noire] 1/2/2014: KDKA NEWSRADIO Afternoon News with Bill Rehkopf @ 4:35pm [La Nuit Noire] [divider] [/divider] 10/18/13: PATTERN – “Circus Freaks” 10/15/13: Pink Balloons for Lunch – “Pink Balloons Presents: Pretty Living PR” 9/7/13: Pittsburgh Post Gazette: NYFW – “Pittsburghers at New York Fashion Week: Meet the ladies of Pretty Living PR” 8/27/13: Point Park Globe – “PR firm hosts ladies night for charity” 7/28/13: Pittsburgh Tribune Review – “Beach-themed fundraiser attracts the young and the beautiful” 7/10/13: That Working Girl – “Working Girls: Charissa and Allyn of Pretty Living PR” 5/20/13: Fashion Radio 1 – “Pretty Living PR on FashionRadio1 – MONDAY Special Showtime!” 2/13/13: Sleepy Dan – “Pajama Jammy Jam” 1/15/13: The Pittsburgh Look – “STYLE | January 2013 Editorial | Speakeasy Style“