Every Sunday, I stop by to share with you a few raw and real stories from my week in The Sunday Edit. Stories where I edited struggles into strengths and found Gem moments when shining seemed impossible. You’ll also find what products have been making my life easier, what new Gem finds I’ve come across, and the best sales going on right now!
**This post may contain affiliate (which means I make a small commission when you shop from them) and sponsored links (gifted items are indicated with a [c/o] and sponsored links with a [sp]) because we all have to pay our bills, and I’d rather keep creating awesome content for you than get a real job. All opinions are my own.**
Last Week on The Gem:
- 10 Things to Treat Yourself to This Month
- Cool off with the Berry Best Rosé Cocktail
- How to Effectively Conceal Dark Under Eye Circles
- To the Person Facing Suicidal Thoughts
Coming This Week:
- The “Windows Down” Playlist
Honestly, the highlight of my week was my therapy appointment. My last appointment was just the initial intake/overview, so this is the first time that we’ve actually dug into figuring out my life. A bit into our session, she said to me, “you are such an analyzer”. And my mind kind of paused. The moment she put me into that category, I thought to myself, “wait, if you’re labeling me as an analyzer, there must be brains out there that aren’t analyzers?”. I kept thinking something I already knew but never remember, “you mean there are people who don’t inspect every sentence they speak after a conversation, who don’t overthink every decision they make, who don’t pre-plan outcomes for tomorrow’s situations in their heads?” Reminding myself that not all heads think like this, gives me hope that perhaps I can someday gain a bit more control over and space within my own mind.
We talked about cognitive distortions which are sneaky, simple ways our brains convince us that things which aren’t actually true are true – basically when your mind is lying to you. Things like emotional reasoning which is when we believe something is true based on our emotional reactions and making should statements like “I should be able to get all this (unreasonably unrealistic stuff) done today” or “I should be able to do this without anxiety” or “I should be further along than an I right now”. For so long, I’ve known my thought patterns have been detrimental to my success and happiness, but I’ve had no idea how to start climbing back up and out of the rabbit hole. So, my homework from her is to start becoming more aware of when these cognitive distortions might be taking over. If this is something you want me to write more about, please let me know in the comments!
With the loses of two well-know figures to suicide this week, Kate Space and Anthony Bourdain, and all of the attention being brought to mental health right now, it’s essential that we aren’t just building awareness, but sharing tools. I’m not saying we should pretend to be mental health professionals by any means, but if you have any strategies that help you get out of those dark times or aid you in sorting through what’s going on in your head, offer them up in a gentle way. Mid conversation isn’t always the best time to offer advice because, as humans, we aren’t always open to it in that particular moment, but we can all use posts on social media to share our stories and insights indirectly with those around us. Imagine if more of those posts filling your social media feeds right now were friendly suggestions and tools that might be handy to have around in our mental toolboxes. You never know who might need to hear exactly what you have to say.
Products Making Life Easier:
- This week, I discovered Nugo Dark Chocolate Pretzel Bar’s with Sea Salt and I’m obsessed. They’re delicious, gluten free, and vegan. Plus, they don’t bother my stomach like many other protein bars do.
- I haven’t really had the mental capacity this week to put much thought into my wardrobe and I keep finding myself in this versatile, comfy denim tunic (worn on The Gem here). From yoga pants and navy lace shorts (similar to these) to a darker pair of jeans, I’ve been wearing it with everything.
- I’m always appreciated of my favorite dry shampoo! I use this one if I’m going for texture and this one if I need more volume.
Latest Finds & Sales:
- Make up your own rules this summer with this FREE makeup bag that’s perfect for storing your beauty faves in when you’re at the pool or headed to the beach. It’s yours with code SUMMER when you purchase $25 of stuff at Julep. Offer expires 6/11/18 at 11:59 pm PT!
- Now through 6/19, take 40% off two or more pair of shoes and sandals with code BIG at Macy’s!
- Sephora’s “Weekly Wow” deals this week are killer! Especially this eyeshadow palette that has all the creamy, shimmery shades you need for summer.